PDA

View Full Version : Food / Hawker Stalls / Eatery Discussions

Simply Jason
09-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Hello guys,

im intend to set up a small food cart like those you see in polytechnics, however, i cannot find any company in Singapore that makes those food carts. Can anyone offer some help here?

thanks so much.

Best regards,
Jason

masrico
09-11-2004, 06:15 PM
:grin: hi guys & gals,

i m a new kid here... :sweat:
i've recently imported some healthy 'ready to eat' seaweed :drool: from korea.
they come in 24 packs of 10 x 2g in a carton...no msg, high protein, high fiber, rich vitamins & minerals...very healthy for kids & ladies.

participated in some small fairs for the last 2 weeks & respond was fantastic :laugh: ...
now looking for re-seller..eg pushcart owners, office sales etc.
interested party kindly email to masrico@singnet.com.sg or dial 96807668.

cheers
masrico

Mystery80
09-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Got samples to try? :grin:

ataraxy
09-11-2004, 09:52 PM
'ready-to-eat'? hhmm... i tot all seaweeds are ready to eat type? :p :grin:

btw, mind if u can share wif us, wat exactly is the type of seaweed? i miss the emart seaweed over there.... :cry:

ChRiSta
09-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Korean seaweed nice nice to eat leh :drool: can buy 1 carton for own consumption? :ls:

ataraxy
09-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Korean seaweed nice nice to eat leh :drool: can buy 1 carton for own consumption? :ls:
me thinking too... :grin:

:p

ChRiSta
09-11-2004, 11:20 PM
me thinking too... :grin:

:p

haha.. tat makes 2 cartons... :drool:
maybe we can order straight from him..
but dunno he will come back and reply mah :confused:

ataraxy
09-11-2004, 11:29 PM
haha.. tat makes 2 cartons... :drool:
maybe we can order straight from him..
but dunno he will come back and reply mah :confused:
yah yah... hope he reply back... :grin:

ChRiSta
09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
yah yah... hope he reply back... :grin:

if he nvr then we have to call or email him ba.. :rolleyes: must see the pricing 1st.. :drool:

sonicdeejay
09-11-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't mind checking t out!!!

any sample...??

and pic??

masrico
09-11-2004, 11:49 PM
hi all,

sorry 4 the late reply...juz finish work :rolleyes:
this nam-do seaweed is positioned as a healthy snack with no msg, lightly salted using sesame & corn oil only...so vegetarian nt a problem.
every polybag contains 5-6 slices of seaweed
this lot expiry will be in august 2005

no problem i sell direct if u guys & gals want... :p
call, sms or email me on ur special price :ls:

cheers

masrico
09-11-2004, 11:51 PM
samples available too :drool:

ChRiSta
09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
samples available too :drool:

how to get the samples? :drool:

meojt
15-02-2005, 08:27 PM
I was wondering, is there any regulations for push carts selling food like those ppl selling chestnuts. Understand that some regulations restrict cooking of food in this manner. I have been thinking like those ppl selling food in their vehicle? how is the application like / cost in applying one??

Personally I am very interested in food business and having some ideas. Thus wanna find out more regarding these regulations. I think selling food is definitely a good business to go into and if the food is nice it will bring customers all over.

Recently went to centrepoint and saw the Po Po shao. It is sort of tapioca type fried cake. Very sellable and good location. Thus food business is definitely something to go into. I can cook so can all of u. Its a matter of how to put our skills into tasty display and sell it.

If anyone wanna invest their good $$ and be a partner can email me la :-)

Mystery80
16-02-2005, 05:11 PM
What is your email?

meojt
17-02-2005, 08:17 PM
My email 99ent1@excite.com

CrAzYbOi
15-08-2005, 01:51 PM
feel like importing some japanese famous snacks into sg to sell..

maybe selling it in those push-cart style of stall..

these snacks are ideal as a gift or as tibits..

anyone know rent push cart how much? and importing of food muz go thru wad paperwork?

SpearBoy
15-08-2005, 02:31 PM
feel like importing some japanese famous snacks into sg to sell..

maybe selling it in those push-cart style of stall..

these snacks are ideal as a gift or as tibits..

anyone know rent push cart how much? and importing of food muz go thru wad paperwork?

For importing of Food pls visit Agri - Food & Veterinary Authority of singapore (http://www.ava.gov.sg/javascript/main-ie.html)

or visit Business licences (https://licences.business.gov.sg/SHINE/sop/WebPageHandler?p=OASIS&pn=SelectLicences&ApplyNew=Y) website

dreamzseeker
16-10-2005, 03:09 AM
HI guys what you all guys think about fruit delievery biz?Any views?

bloodcool
16-10-2005, 04:32 AM
my personal opinion:

deliver fruits to office building NOT in town area would be the best... the workers there are often out and their accessibility to a fruit stall is super easy... (cos i worked in town area now)

but in my previous job, i'm in an area where fruits can only be bought from a nearby canteen, where sometimes freshness, tastes and availability are not guarantee... and actually the staffs ordered fruits (in bulk) to be sent to their office on a weekly basis...

so places u can target are those clementi, jurong, tuas, yishun, woodlands etc (basically those 'outskirt' of singapore) where they have to either stick with the nearby canteen, or drive out to nearby hawker centre for food and fruits...

of course, look for those buildings that are likely to have quite a handful of office girls working there(ladies are the main customers crowd for fruits)

Wayne Peh
16-10-2005, 04:55 AM
may be possible~ but to earn ur customers is hard~ as in when someone wan to buy fruits~ most likely he will prefer to go down and chose himself~ thus u must make sure ur quality is high~ so in so customers that order once from u will like to order again from u~

another suggestion u can try doing fruits hampers too ba~

but wadeva it is, whether is it feasible, u gotta do some market research~ to see whether u got the 'market' to go into this buisness~

jowy85
19-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Beside getting liscense for my shop .

Do i need to apply internet Liscense if my shop strictly on internet and no gaming ?

Do i need to appy any permits if i am gonna sell DRINKs only and no Food ?

Do i have to hire fire deparment to put fire safety ?

i think all these qns for the time being ...

thankx

memorieschc
19-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I had once enquired thru Environment on Drinks and Food.

According to them, if the drinks and food r those pre-packed ones e.g. canned drinks and packeted tibits etc, no licence is required to be obtained. As long as the landlord approve can liao.

As for the fire safety, if u r getting one shop from a landlord, they shld have fire safety in place liao.

lubisratno
20-10-2005, 12:13 AM
just wondering. why would you not want to include gaming? i feel that's where the money is.

internet surfing only is fine but most people here already has internet unless you're situated in an area where there are a substantial foreign population whether expats or tourists.

jowy85
20-10-2005, 01:09 PM
just wondering. why would you not want to include gaming? i feel that's where the money is.

internet surfing only is fine but most people here already has internet unless you're situated in an area where there are a substantial foreign population whether expats or tourists.

THe Gaming Part is to cuming later when i got my gaming liscence which i was told by my frenx is 3mth proccess.

And i somehow found a place next to mustafa . anyway opening hours of a shop is depend on the landlord whether he wanne permit rit ?

gatekeeper
20-10-2005, 01:30 PM
THe Gaming Part is to cuming later when i got my gaming liscence which i was told by my frenx is 3mth proccess.

And i somehow found a place next to mustafa . anyway opening hours of a shop is depend on the landlord whether he wanne permit rit ?

you cannot open your cyber cafe for 24hours or after 12midnight..

jowy85
20-10-2005, 05:40 PM
you cannot open your cyber cafe for 24hours or after 12midnight..

What do mean i cannot ?Due to what reason ?

Because i saw cyber cafe going 24hr.

gatekeeper
25-10-2005, 12:17 PM
illegal... i donno know you got to check.. the last time i got this info was few years back...

jayles
28-10-2005, 06:04 PM
What do mean i cannot ?Due to what reason ?

Because i saw cyber cafe going 24hr.
They ban it a few years ago..... but anyway, now you can open 24 hrs...... PM me if you need Internet Access and Hardware.....

I am supplying for Cyber shops..... :)

dennis
28-10-2005, 08:43 PM
hmm internet cafe still profitable meh?

lubisratno
29-10-2005, 12:48 AM
i think it could be but only if there are other sub-services included like maybe gaming, digital photo-printing, namecard-printing, book-binding, photocopying and even retailing of food and beverage as well as related products like computer mice, networking devices, thumbdrives ... those sort of things.

only then it becomes an all-inclusive centre where people can surf and not worry about if they need to suddenly utilize the other products and services on offer.

djchris
29-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Just IMO,
I think you're probably focusing at the tourism market where people on vacation here wants to log on the net to check mails and stuff...

So location is very important...choose wisely.. :)

jowy85
29-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Just IMO,
I think you're probably focusing at the tourism market where people on vacation here wants to log on the net to check mails and stuff...

So location is very important...choose wisely.. :)

ACtually i choose a place near mustafa ...dunnoe it works or not ...anyway it need small captial only .so the risk is not high , but it still consist of $$ , that why i hestiating.....

jowy85
29-10-2005, 04:11 PM
hmm internet cafe still profitable meh?

Actually alot of people feedback me abt this issue , but just dun understand why kids who still have computer at home , still like to go LAN shop play game...whaha...so maybe wanne give it a good try since it was passion of mine to set up a internet cafe plus i am doing a bussiness...hope it works.

Tak3shi
29-10-2005, 04:28 PM
If you don't mind me asking what's the capital *roughly*?
-below 20k?
-20-30k?
-30-40k?
-above 50k?

junkai21
29-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Actually alot of people feedback me abt this issue , but just dun understand why kids who still have computer at home , still like to go LAN shop play game...whaha...so maybe wanne give it a good try since it was passion of mine to set up a internet cafe plus i am doing a bussiness...hope it works.

got the sense of occation mah.. can challenge friends at no lag :halo:

dennis
29-10-2005, 11:23 PM

make sure the area u selects doesn't have internet cafes already (worst still if there is alot).

Tak3shi
30-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm guessing :-

-Rent (3-5k?)
-Per Pc( Around 1k)
-(misc 5k)
-Renovation (?)
-etc

Which might add up to roughly 40k.

How much are you using to set up your cafe since you said small amount of capital. Any information shared will be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

jowy85
31-10-2005, 01:33 PM
If you don't mind me asking what's the capital *roughly*?
-below 20k?
-20-30k?
-30-40k?
-above 50k?

as low as $8000 - 10 k only ....coz i got myself a special deal on the rent which i need 1+1 only ...

jowy85
31-10-2005, 02:08 PM
since we are toking abt low end com at the begining for internet surfing ...each computer i build can go as low as $400++

after 3 mth , we will be toking abt upgrading com to gaming system..

renovation is done by my dad FOC coz he is a renovater ...so should be no pro , if not i diy myself ...whaha

When u start a bussiness , u gonna hogged ur life for it ...then enjoy when it grow...

ninabei
31-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi i am interested in setting a food delivery service for my area during weekend nights...i am planning to cook my own food in my own HDB unit and deliver it to my customer...can anyone help me on this matter regarding license etc?

BeckHamHam
31-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Hi i am interested in setting a food delivery service for my area during weekend nights...i am planning to cook my own food in my own HDB unit and deliver it to my customer...can anyone help me on this matter regarding license etc?
go NEA?

i think u nd to do a full body check up wors....

then must take flu jab all these...coz u preparing food mahs

ninabei
31-10-2005, 09:57 PM
go NEA?

i think u nd to do a full body check up wors....

then must take flu jab all these...coz u preparing food mahs

sent them 2 emails but they have yet to reply me..haiz...

BeckHamHam
31-10-2005, 10:08 PM
sent them 2 emails but they have yet to reply me..haiz...

try calling hteir number?

i mean..main line....hopefully those pple there know how to direct u to the right person?

legendtale
01-11-2005, 12:04 AM
dont think possible becos no "proper" place for food preparation, ie. prepare food in HDB not allowed. if follow the rule strictly.

you should check with the authority directly.

Calis
01-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Actually it can be done under a scheme for home-office cum companies for start-ups/SMEs. HDB allows home prepared food to be made & delivered. You can check out the Home-Office scheme on HDB's website or enquire at town council branches.

After that, check out www.bizfile.gov.sg for the licences & regulations. There are many people out there making home-made cookies, cakes, desserts for delivery & for-profit small scale biz already.

legendtale
01-11-2005, 11:56 AM
really! i am outdated liao :blushed:

dudu^gao
02-11-2005, 03:49 AM
:halo: all!!

wanna get some advice from you guys!!

any idea where is the best location to set up a cafe, whereby the rental space is cheap? besides the rental, what else do i have to consider if i wanna set up a cafe??

is the market saturated with cafes????

thanks for the help!!!!:HugHug:

:jump: :jump: :

dennis
02-11-2005, 11:02 AM
good locations, rentals dun comes cheap. :grin:

I dun think market is saturated with cafes, if you are just serving drinks, might be hard.

Good location + drinks + food, think it will still be profitable as singaporeans loves to eats and drinks.

Calis
02-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Good location, rental fees, operating hours and menu are part of the essential considerations. The other important aspect is your cafe's concept and atmosphere. You must have something to differentiate yourself from your competitors and that is your competitive advantage.

Check out all the cafes in the areas you may be located and observe what their concepts are, their menu, their customers' profile, etc. Then decide what you can offer that they can't or do as well as you. Perhaps you would like to start from there.

ckescape00
02-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Kitchen operations as in the process from turning your raw materials into food are important in cafe too. You might wan to engage a professional chef or consultant to help u out. In fact running a cafe is not easy. Many things to consider.

dudu^gao
02-11-2005, 11:48 PM
hey thanks guys for the prompt reply.haiz, i know there's alot of stuffs to consider before setting up a cafe or any other stalls. :laugh: so must start planning now. have to got an aim so tt i can work towards my target. still have 5 more years to go before realization of my dream...

but truly i'm frighten by the thought of going to a road of no return, which means, negative revenue.anyway, any ideas how to make quick money legally so tt i can have enough capital by then to start a cafe?

any other interesting comments on considerations of setting up cafes, pls do so..:grin:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

ahbombpokpok
03-11-2005, 03:28 AM
normally a cafe will make losses for the first six months, so do expect negative revenue in the beginning ya. Calis has more or less stated the important points, you can pick ur way up from there.

WhatU1
04-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Pls ask around for suppliers first. If u cn rent most of the equipment in lieu of gettin supplies fm certain suppliers, will reduce your set up cost considerably. EG. Good industrial size coffee machine mayb cost $8K-$15K depndin on size. If pln to use those sold commercially, mayb too sm to tk volume. But if you tk certain brands of coffee beans, mayb able to lease 2 u FOC.

Same as furniture & fittings. EG Gettin FOC signboard in lieu of advertising for certain beverages.

Also, hv to consider menu bcos u need to start workin out your margins. Once u hv a substantial menu thn cn consider how much daily takings needed to cover avg operational cost. Which leads back to gettin supplies..

Whn u hv a ready menu, & enquired supplies & suppliers, thn cn start lookin for location whh is within your budget and ideal for business. Whn location is more firm, thn start nego with suppliers to firm up actual details. Pls note that may need more thn 1 supplier in hand just in case you get played out.

Calis
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Pls ask around for suppliers first. If u cn rent most of the equipment in lieu of gettin supplies fm certain suppliers, will reduce your set up cost considerably. EG. Good industrial size coffee machine mayb cost $8K-$15K depndin on size. If pln to use those sold commercially, mayb too sm to tk volume. But if you tk certain brands of coffee beans, mayb able to lease 2 u FOC.

Same as furniture & fittings. EG Gettin FOC signboard in lieu of advertising for certain beverages.

Also, hv to consider menu bcos u need to start workin out your margins. Once u hv a substantial menu thn cn consider how much daily takings needed to cover avg operational cost. Which leads back to gettin supplies..

Whn u hv a ready menu, & enquired supplies & suppliers, thn cn start lookin for location whh is within your budget and ideal for business. Whn location is more firm, thn start nego with suppliers to firm up actual details. Pls note that may need more thn 1 supplier in hand just in case you get played out.

dudu^gao, you can use WhatU1's advice too. Do search for a couple of locations and enquire abt the rents, observe the traffic, the crowd, customer profiles, cafes and the change of crowd at different times of the day. Then do up the plans and concepts for each location, but most important factors are the concept of the cafe that you REALLY want and the budget that you can afford.

After you have drawn up the concepts, plans, menus, budget and operations system, enquire on the rentals, contact suppliers and start supplies enquiry based on an estimated amount you require. But you have to clinch the location that you want 1st before going into further negotiation for supplies. Do take note that you may require some time and budget for renovation once you get the location.

Don't forget about your staff too. The chef is VERY important, because the quality of your food you offer plays a part in attracting customers. So does your service staff. For a cafe, you don't need much staff, depending on the size of the cafe and the operations. If you are running the cafe personally, get a chef, a part-time accountant and 1 or 2 service staff. If you are partnering with friends who can do part-time or full-time, then you don't need any service staff since all of you can perform that role and save up on the staff payroll.

On other cost-cutting methods, look for sponsors and suppliers which can offer complimentary products or services. They may be able to offer better value packages or discounts. If you are looking at coffee beans and coffee-brewing machines, you may want to try Boncafe. There's a newspaper article recently about Boncafe. I'm not sure about whether Nescafe is offering something similar, so you may want to call up to enquire.

DylanTan
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
hi guys..
well.. this may not seem the ideal place to start a career.. but i would like to ask some question about hawkering..
do u think setting up a stall selling noodles at hawker centres profitable?
and how much wil it cost??
thanks!

legendtale
04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
first of all, food must be nice, and then location good.

think should not be expensive. probably around $10k or lesser.

Calis
04-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Whether it's profitable or not, you have to really work out the cashflow. You have to take into the consideration the location, the crowd and how many customers, how much is the rental, the cost of your supplies and utility bills, etc.

Selling noodles is very common and many hawkers have made some profits or at least enough to put their children through university.

As for start-up cost, you'll have to check it out with the owner or the company that operates the hawker stalls for the rental terms and conditions. Some require a deposit of 1 month, so that has to be calculated into your start-up cost. If you can get good bargains for your utensils and equipment, you'll shave a bit from your costs as well.

Your total start-up capital shouldn't be less than $10k, in order to have a certain percentage of reserves should your business pick up slow in the 1st month or so.

dudu^gao
04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
wah, come to think of that, really must have substantial capital before embarking on the plan man! and there's so much to take note of!! wosh~

but than thanks again all, i'll put wad all of u had said into consideration and good use!

hmm, one question in mind, would a just start-up company have sponsors? and on what basis can get a loan ffrom banks?
thankie

Calis
05-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Yes, a start-up company can get sponsors. You can find sponsors for signboards and other stuff if you search hard enough. Sometimes in return of sponsorship, you can barter for doing some marketing in return. For example, a supplier who wants to increase sales or ramp up branding awareness of a particular tea product line can sponsor you a certain volume or a month of supplies. In return you include their products in your menu under house recommendations and do promotion/marketing for them.

As for bank loans, as long as you present your business plan and able to show that it's a feasible and profitable case, the bank will loan you a certain amount. That amount may not be sufficient, so perhaps you have to loan from a couple of banks. However, to get the banks to listen in the first place requires some effort. Do be prepared to work on it and present your plans anytime. Also be flexible enough to present and modify your plans accordingly.

dudu^gao
05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
hey~
hawker isnt a bad career to start of with~
i've seen and heard of many hawkers making big bucks!! i was thinking of it initially too!!
all the best~

dudu^gao
05-11-2005, 12:40 AM
just a summary of what i derived so far from u guys:

points to consider:

1)location
2)food menu
3)operating hours
4)customer's profiles- preferences, likes and dislikes
5)cafe's concept and atmosphere
6)kitchen operations -helpers:waiter/ress, accountances, chefs
7)competitors
8)rents
9)sponsors
10)marketing-advertising
11)suppliers-equipment/furnitures/food items
12)self-budget
13)bank loans

thanks all!! pls add on to the list~~

Calis
05-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Don't be too happy yet.... Don't just have your eyes blinking with $$ signs. For hawkers, they have to sacrifice most of their day at the stall cooking, serving and washing. At home they have to prepare the ingredients. So in fact, their social life are almost non-existent.

Are you prepaed for this sacrifice to achieve whatever income you want to have from hawkering?

DylanTan
05-11-2005, 09:33 AM
how about hiring man to help?? as in when the business get stable... hire men so to help lighten your workload.. is that a good idea??

Calis
05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't say whether that idea is good or bad. When the business is stable and on track, of course you can hire men to take over some of the operations and you can venture on other business. However, do bare in mind that hiring staff means higher expenses and will eat into your overall profit.

Your business may get affected also. Your customers patronise your stall because of:

1. Personal relationship with you - you have built a rapport with them

2. The quality and taste of your food - they like the taste & texture and the way you cook your food

3. The price of your food - they come because they feel the price is reasonable

If you hire men to cook and serve, some customers may not come back because 1 or more of these factors no longer meet their expectations. Different people have different cooking styles and standards, so you lose some customers, you may get some new customers. Be prepared to have slower business for 1 month after you hired a new cook.

And when you hire men, you incur higher expenses because you have to pay salary to them. Unless you are willing to have lower profit, you may have to increase the selling price of your food, which then again may affect the number of customers patronising your stall.

I suggest you think these through before making a decision. Usually, the hawkers personally operate their stalls and sometimes they run on shifts if there are enough people in their family or friends to take over each other.

ifzzz
05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
hawker?? that's 7 days a week of work!! :faint: unless u have the ability to hire and trained workers..

legendtale
05-11-2005, 12:36 PM
ya, 7 x 14 hours work.

of course u can choose to work 6 days only but bear in mind the fixed cost, ie. rental.

and the environment, the water, oil and etc. and washing the plates, using detergent may get u into some skin problem...

ifzzz
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
ya, 7 x 14 hours work.

of course u can choose to work 6 days only but bear in mind the fixed cost, ie. rental.

and the environment, the water, oil and etc. and washing the plates, using detergent may get u into some skin problem...

yeah..not worth it to rest especially when business just started.. will be chasing postential customers away.. unless the stall become very popular, then can ya ya a bit...

invent protective attire from head to toe?? haa.. sure attract media de... :p

Calis
05-11-2005, 01:09 PM
invent protective attire from head to toe?? haa.. sure attract media de...

Hmm.... you're asking me?? Maybe I can invent it using special fibre? :muahaha:

Anyway, it takes lots of physical endurance and discipline to stand, cook and work 7x14. Get friends or family to rotate shift lor. So far that's the best arrangement around.

BeckHamHam
05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Do it unless u really love cooking....

Do it unless u are really willing to sacrifice a lot of time on ur stall. Imagine working ard 14 hrs a day 7 days per week. Ur physical strength must be there. If can, try to work in shifts.

All initial stages will be tough....Meantime, get ur family to help you out. Once everything is running a little more smoothly, u might wanna hire workers to help you.

Starting working out on ur capital n everything.

Do some food tasting 1st too!

Create some samples. Get frens n family to try. Good food attracts pple! U know la. SG pple loves food de.

ifzzz
05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
better to do it after u get married, else love life will suffer... seriously...

Calis
05-11-2005, 01:39 PM
LOL, that depends on what his priorities in life are. You gain some, you lose some. Some sacrifices have to be made.

legendtale
05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
alternative is sublet some time to someone else.

eg. morning sell kueh kueh, afternoon u take over til night.

helps to bear some rental too.

Calis
05-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's another good alternative. HHmmm... maybe can get someone from KT who wants to start kueh kueh or simple dessert business to share costs?

Ramcem
05-11-2005, 02:32 PM
A little humour from talkcock.com..

Maybe we should ask NUS to consider offering MBAs and Phds in hawking?

~Ramcem
Disclaimer: This article is no means my personal view. Being a hawker is a tough job and I also come from a generation of hawkers..

NUS to Offer Degree in Hawking to Meet Market Demand
Posted on Sunday, January 16, 2005
Topic: Business
by Nyonya Kway

With increasing numbers of graduates becoming hawkers, the National University of Singapore sees an opportunity to tap into what they see as an “economic growth area” by offering a degree in hawking.

“It’s clear from the newspapers that there’s a real trend forming,” said NUS Business Administration don Associate Professor Ho Seng Lee, brandishing a file of clippings, including a New Paper piece about how a former banker had turned to selling nasi lemak, as well as recent Straits Times stories about a financial consultant-turned beef kway teow hawker, graduates who’d become porridge sellers, and a psychology grad who’s now pursuing prata.

“The hawker sector is fast becoming one of the top employers for Singaporean graduates,” said AP Ho. “So we think it’s only right that we meet the demands of this key market segment.”

He added that “this market segment is especially key because it tends to be located near or in actual markets.”

The course will include modules on supply-chain management, environmental standards, marketing (in terms of both promotion as well as the purchasing of produce) and real estate (“Location, location, location,” said AP Ho).

AP Ho, however, conceded that he was mystified by the appeal of hawking to graduates. “With their qualifications, they should be finding more sophisticated jobs, higher pay and dealing with higher-order transactions. Yet so many are turning to the tough manual labour, long hours and thin margins involved in hawking. It’s strange. Normally you’d associate this with a recession or economic downturn and high unemployment. But if you read the Singapore press, growth forecasts are rosy and Singapore is doing just great. So the trend towards hawking must be voluntary, unless of course the forecasts all bedek, but that can’t be the case.”

AP Ho’s conjecture is backed up by the high enrolment rates for the new Bachelor’s in Hawker Studies.

One prospective applicant, national serviceman Kang Chuay Boh said he thought the degree would provide him with the requisite professional skills. “My father and mother told me, nowsaday you go university, come out sure chao yeow yee. So I think taking this course will prepare me very well to set up a fried cuttlefish stall.”

© http://www.TalkingCock.com 2001-2003. All rights reserved.

Calis
05-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Really a humour. If it's for real, it won't be the universities offering the course. It'll be the polytechnics that offer hospitality and F&B courses.

DylanTan
05-11-2005, 04:09 PM
wah..from what i can see.. is hard work and lotsa time.. but the profit is still not certain.. abit kinda lose lose situation...
i love to cook.. but i cant find a way to kick start my cooking career as i m not that young anymore.. i wanted to go to sunrice to learn cooking but i cant afford to let go my job and go study for a year without income!! its so difficult sometimes..
any advise?

Calis
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Why not take up cooking classes at Community Centres or private culinary classes from neighbours or chefs from cafes/restaurants? Then start from home selling home-cooked food.

DylanTan
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Why not take up cooking classes at Community Centres or private culinary classes from neighbours or chefs from cafes/restaurants? Then start from home selling home-cooked food.

i tried to look for info about centres who gives home cooked lessons.. but to no avail.. calis.. do u have the info?

Calis
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Seng Kang and Hougang CCs have culinary lessons. Those desserts, cakes, cooies and main dishes culinary lessons are available there. But mostlt demo by instructor only. You will have to experiment and improve your skills at home. You can also enquire from other CCs.

WhatU1
06-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Just a case sample for you. The Killiney Road Coffee Shop@Shenton Way was owned by someone I knw. He sat at that location for almost 1 month b4 committin. He got the prix of the Killiney franchisee, work out variable cost, then estimated how much he need to sell in order to cover rental + franchisee fees + cost. He managed to recover all his initial cost in 6 months bcos location very good for biz. Lots of office orders for meetings.. He told me that his initial layout was very high but he had confident in the location. Now he sold the lease to the place to another food operator..

If you are looking for European concept, maybe can try asking LAVANZZA coffee to supply..

Died_Ghost
06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
There is one noodle stall in a coffee shop nearby only operate in the morning for half a day. They sell fish ball noodle, wonton noodle, laksa etc dry/soup. 4 persons working at the store, can imagine quite good business. They r selling the noodle from $2.00 onwards. Taste not bad. They only operate half day may be they are eyeing at the lunch crowd as there are industrial complex nearby.

The stall rental in that area is about $1000-$1500/mth. Lets say each person collect salary of $1000/mth (or $500/mth since working 1/2 day)
The estimated total monthly cost for rental and salary is $1500+(4x$500)=$3500 (consider the stall towkay collect salary also and the coffee shop owner only accept full day rental even that stall is not opened in the afternoon onwards.)

Let say @ $2/bowl, [$3500/30/2] = 58.33

ie each day first 58 bowls of noodle @$2/each goes to the rental and salary.

Have to take into consideration of material cost, utilities etc etc, and may be weekend and PH got better business, can sell more. They may have customers ordering noodle @ $2.50 or $3.00. May be in the afternoon, the hawker have some other form of income.

They r still there. A few other stalls cannot tahan, stop a few weeks/months later after they started.

scories
06-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Make sure you've got the plumbing, drainage, licences sorted out. If i'm not wrong, you need a licence for food, alcoholic drinks, live performance, a dance floor, extended hours, etc. Get it all sorted out before you even consider location or rental.

Calculate your operational costs very carefully... you must factor in the senario when your cafe is not making any money.. how many months can you sustain/ afford to suffer losses. Whatever can happen, will happen.

What's ur exit strategy? Under what circumstances will you pull out from the market to cut your losses? Get down to the numbers.. and write your ideas down in a organised manner rather then think of an idea and think that you'll act in a particular way.

In the meantime, get to know as many cafe managers/owners (sometimes the manager knows more than the owners) and talk to them. Spend time going to cafes and sit around, watch the crowd... watch the staff, observe their marketing strategies. Observe the supply chain and the whole works...

Many cafes started with good concepts but run into many problems and have to end up winding up their business.

If you need more help, drop me an email. :)

dudu^gao
08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
hey, u mentioned the location was good seems like he's making a profit..
just curious, if thats the case, why did he discontinue the biz?
how come he sold the lease?

Just a case sample for you. The Killiney Road Coffee Shop@Shenton Way was owned by someone I knw. He sat at that location for almost 1 month b4 committin. He got the prix of the Killiney franchisee, work out variable cost, then estimated how much he need to sell in order to cover rental + franchisee fees + cost. He managed to recover all his initial cost in 6 months bcos location very good for biz. Lots of office orders for meetings.. He told me that his initial layout was very high but he had confident in the location. Now he sold the lease to the place to another food operator..

If you are looking for European concept, maybe can try asking LAVANZZA coffee to supply..

dudu^gao
08-11-2005, 06:34 PM
:halo: all!!
does anyone know of any food suppliers that will give cheaper rates when buy in bulk?? (cheaper than supermarkets??)

thanks lots guys:HugHug: !

Myst
08-11-2005, 07:29 PM
what kind of food? and in what bulk?

legendtale
08-11-2005, 08:08 PM
to get anything cheaper then retailer, go for the wholesaler and distributor.

dudu^gao
09-11-2005, 03:46 PM
in large quantities lor, perhaps eh, for 2 weeks of bazzars?
sorry,whats the difference between wholesaler and distributor?

if anyone has contacts with food supplies, pm me. thanks

ssian84
09-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I think you better be hardworking lor and not here asking people for contacts!
All i can tell you is!!!!!!! Go to any supermarket and do your research there rather than staying at home waiting for people to give you contacts!!!!
Since you are into food suppliers! Go ahead to the type of food you are looking for and look for their distributors!
EG: Pepsi Drinks! Look at their Cans for numbers to call !!!!

Myst
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
lol later scare ppl. :D Anyway, for something like 2 weeks for a bazzar isn't all that big. Like ssian84 said, you can always call the distributer fetuared on the packaging. But if you want lime/lemon juice, I can help. Meat balls and stuff too.

dudu^gao
10-11-2005, 09:19 PM
internet is the quickest way of getting vast amount of information. and did i not mention i'm already doing my own research and such. by getting information here and making comparisons from what i had is the best way of obtaining the cheapest goods rather den one sided info!!
this is the fundamental stuff everyone shld know!!!! and also, forum is a place for interactions and asking questions, dun u know this?

Calis
11-11-2005, 12:21 AM
All i can tell you is!!!!!!! Go to any supermarket and do your research there rather than staying at home waiting for people to give you contacts!!!!
Since you are into food suppliers! Go ahead to the type of food you are looking for and look for their distributors!

Cool it ssian84, everybody learns in different ways. Asking is a way of learning. There no harm in asking questions. We'll have to be patient in sharing so that everyone benefits. It'll be sad when nobody asks questions anymore.

internet is the quickest way of getting vast amount of information. and did i not mention i'm already doing my own research and such. by getting information here and making comparisons from what i had is the best way of obtaining the cheapest goods rather den one sided info!!
this is the fundamental stuff everyone shld know!!!! and also, forum is a place for interactions and asking questions, dun u know this?

dudu^gao, I applaud you for taking action and then asking questions to review and compare to have a more effective learning cycle. :clap:
Preparation and market research requires LOTS of action, and through actions will your questions be anwered. There's still a need to ask, so don't be affected by outbursts or discouragement from others. There're obstacles for us to face & overcome so that we can become stronger.

Jiayou! :halo: :halo:

IamBoring
11-11-2005, 10:33 AM

cool down dude..
he is not wrong in askin for direction.. the forum will be very empty if nobody asking qns....

dudu.. i hav lobang for chicken wing, fishball or other kind of meat like beef.. lei mi knw if u need their contact..

dudu^gao
11-11-2005, 07:39 PM
:sweat: yeah calis~ haha:grin: i wont be deterred by ssian84 from asking questions. anyway i dun think he mean any harm one lar...correct? just that i bz with school at the moment...so cant go online tt often..thanks for ur encouragement guys

Cool it ssian84, everybody learns in different ways. Asking is a way of learning. There no harm in asking questions. We'll have to be patient in sharing so that everyone benefits. It'll be sad when nobody asks questions anymore.

dudu^gao, I applaud you for taking action and then asking questions to review and compare to have a more effective learning cycle. :clap:
Preparation and market research requires LOTS of action, and through actions will your questions be anwered. There's still a need to ask, so don't be affected by outbursts or discouragement from others. There're obstacles for us to face & overcome so that we can become stronger.

Jiayou! :halo: :halo:

WhatU1
14-11-2005, 08:28 PM
hey, u mentioned the location was good seems like he's making a profit..
just curious, if thats the case, why did he discontinue the biz?
how come he sold the lease?

Reason why is simple. Easy money, no need to work...

In 1st year, he made back his capital layout + profit. So with another 2 more years to go, he sold to group that operates KOPITIAM.. Pocket all in all about three times what he laid out... Why not? $$$$ in pocket, no need to work... Have capital to invest in another project but not with his hard earned money....

Will you do the same?

WhatU1
14-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Make sure you've got the plumbing, drainage, licences sorted out. If i'm not wrong, you need a licence for food, alcoholic drinks, live performance, a dance floor, extended hours, etc. Get it all sorted out before you even consider location or rental.....

.....Many cafes started with good concepts but run into many problems and have to end up winding up their business.

Whatever licences that needs to apply will depend on the set up. Get an idea what to do then check out the relevant authorities to see if permit/licence is needed. Sometimes, seeking alternatives maybe easier and cheaper.

EG. COMPASS is in charge of getting royalties for all recording artistes. However, if u play radio only, you don't need to pay COMPASS a licence fees... But if you play a CD, then u will be asking for trouble with COMPASS.

Whatever concepts you have in mind, it must suit the location... Unless your menu is so good tht customers don't mind going all the way out to patronise you...

Peacedove
14-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Hi ppl!

I am looking for coffee beans suppliers who would provide us with their brewing machines when we purchase their stocks. Do you all know of any?

If not, where can i rent affordable small office/home coffee brewing/expresso making machines?

as i am not an expert with coffee powder or beans, how would i know how to choose the right type?

golden angel
15-11-2005, 02:52 AM
HI,

I guess setting up a cafe requires a number of things, commitment, hardwork, integrity, good partners, good menu selection and good chef. There are numerous cafes in Singapore and only a few of them manage to impress me with their service and food.

Coffee knowledge is a must as there are so many types of coffee beans around, you might want to take up a course ( Starbucks do organise regularly).

Variety is definitely important too.

Hope my 2 cents helps.

golden angel
15-11-2005, 03:01 AM
You might want to try to attend the Food Exihibition, they run it at least 3 times in a year at singapore expo, over there you will be able to source.

Research is a must before you identify your supplier.

Peacedove
15-11-2005, 10:01 AM
thank you for the advice. :)

WhatU1
15-11-2005, 11:48 AM
There are a few brands that is available in the market. LAVENZZA & BONCAFE are 2 more commonly used beans & they provide coffee machines. Can check them out.

Next time you visit a cafe, check out the beans they use and have a taste. Then you decide for yourself what is good or bad..

Personally, I prefer LAVENZZA. Know BONCAFE recommend to use only 3-4 beans per cup (although can adjust) so don't like the taste..

golden angel
15-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi,

To do hawker food differently, try selling the non traditional stuff, there are too many vesions of nasi lemak, katong laksa, fish head curry, char kway teow in Singapore.

You may want to check out the culinary school like Sunrise( can't remember the full name). Cooking is also an art that one have to try and error.

I did hawking 3 years back and mind you the overheads are equally as high as my revenue and I worked from 7am to 11pm. It was definitely hardwork but I enjoyed it immensely.

Myst
15-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Theres also a jap coy called UCC. They do give out freebies but i have no idea what. If you're interested, msg me and i'll give you a contact.

xspace
15-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Quiet a good read... My friend is also contemplating to be a hawker, can get him to read.

My experience in hawking was when I was in sec. sch, helping my relatives.. It was tiring, and cooking for long hours (for my aunt) proves to be a very tedious and health-straining work..

But if you have made all the necessary considerations... Go for it... :)

star83
30-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I am looking into suppliers have snack, tibit, foods, coffee powers and also some suppliers who can supplies food for bday session or mini gathering or meeting.

if anyone lobang pls pm me... thank so much...;-)

scuttlebutt
30-11-2005, 12:08 PM
some companies I know that provide snacks. Not sure if they provide on small scale.

Pianitos

Vismark

Kiom kee

kicskate
09-12-2005, 03:14 AM
cool down dude..
he is not wrong in askin for direction.. the forum will be very empty if nobody asking qns....

dudu.. i hav lobang for chicken wing, fishball or other kind of meat like beef.. lei mi knw if u need their contact..
You got tuna lobang? i actually email Ayam Brand, but they no reply, i give them a few more days, if not i will call them or go straight to their warehse, btw its near my house.... Tagore Lane :wahaha:

XsenseX
09-12-2005, 05:55 PM
I've spend 2-3 days driving around singapore after getting contacts from friends n also calling up various ppl in the food industry ...

Getting the contact is just a tip of the iceberg ... nothing wrong asking online thou ...

In the end after fruitless searching ... my friend who ran a restarant b4 guide me along .... and i learn mistakes along the way ...

Everyone has to do it this way or else ... doing biz isn't really fun anymore ... :)

kicskate
09-12-2005, 08:02 PM
I've spend 2-3 days driving around singapore after getting contacts from friends n also calling up various ppl in the food industry ...

Getting the contact is just a tip of the iceberg ... nothing wrong asking online thou ...

In the end after fruitless searching ... my friend who ran a restarant b4 guide me along .... and i learn mistakes along the way ...

Everyone has to do it this way or else ... doing biz isn't really fun anymore ... :)
Ya , you are right, asking is not a problem.... the mouth should be put to good use, ask and ask and ask, no harm doing it...
Do business got to be thick skin enough

lifesux
09-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Sometimes, u'll realise that supermakets such as giant and sheng siong are cheaper
Do go there to compare prices, somemore no stock committment

kicskate
10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Sometimes, u'll realise that supermakets such as giant and sheng siong are cheaper
Do go there to compare prices, somemore no stock committment
i compare ald, the px is actually cheaper in seng siong than direct from warehse.... wierd?

Qilin
17-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi

I am Qilin, do anyone knows how much it need to set up a cafe in town area?

rgds
Qilin:(

bloodcool
17-01-2006, 01:10 AM
halo, you have posted in the wrong section, should be in @Biz

moved to @Biz

Qilin
17-01-2006, 12:53 PM
thank you bloodcool

Zerocool2311
17-01-2006, 01:07 PM
I would say u would need abt S$100,000 to start off something in the likes of cafe cartel.

Qilin
17-01-2006, 01:14 PM
wow so X, 1/2 of the price can or not?

keving77
23-01-2006, 08:54 PM
For something like cafe cartel, u need something around $500K.

$120k - $150K to start up everything,
from reno to equipments,
manpower, utilities and rental.
Rental can be around $15 - $20 psf for town aread like raffles city and suntec.a 1000 sf shop will cost u $15K to $20K month alone.

Monthly operating cost will be somewhere around $60K (very conservative figure already).

Starting a biz not only need to have enough cash to kick off the whole process, which is the $150K itself, u need to calculate at least 6 months to 12 months running capital, which is the money u have in reserve that will be spent, and assuming u have ZERO intake from first day.

Therefore, Operating cost x 6 months = $360K +
Starting cost = $150K

Thus smelly-smelly need 1/2 mil to run the biz.

Plenty of cafes take chances by starting the biz with only 1 to 2 months
running capital which is dangerous. SOmetimes maybe after 3 months, their reserve start to fall short, thus biz are folded, which is wasted because no biz is built overnight. With good marketing, F&B biz can actually take off after 3 months or so. Therefore to fold at the 3rd month point is wasted.

WhatU1
23-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Cost of prime 1st floor space in prime district is currently around $30-$35 per sq foot. So if you take a shop of 200 sq feet (aka Lucky Plaza's Killiney Coffee Shop), will knock you back $6K-$7K on rental easily. On top you have to deposit 3 months rental, just rental set up will be $21K-$28K.

Equipment can still loan from certain operators but if you taking franchise, will easily hit $30K-$40K. Then renovation cost $15K-$30K depending on what you doing. Fixture and Fittings $20K-$30K (again depending on what you doing). Misc expense (setting up company, applying licences, electrical & water turn on) $5K. So dumping in around $90K-$135K easily.

Then there is the daily operational expense like labour, food cost, electrical & water bill (which varies alot), so easily $120-$150K to start up?

keving77
23-01-2006, 09:22 PM
For small to medium size F&B outlet easily need more than $100K to start in prime area. However, depending on your kan dao, rental can neg for
free 1 - 3 months. Was looking at a space at suntec, was able to neg
for around 1 - 3 mths free, but space was too big for me. Still searching at moment. :)

Qilin
24-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi keving77

where is the space at suntec that u has negotiated for free ard 1-3 mths. recommend me leh. where do u find all this kan dao from, strait tmes or where? pls advise. :)

k!y0shI
24-01-2006, 02:52 PM
and it will take 2 years to take back wat u put in...

virgoriangur
05-02-2006, 02:08 PM
hi all,

I ned a electrical commercial deep fryer for my dad stall usage anybody noes whr can i find tis item at good price ?:)

elyn_8309
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
i think u can try cash converter??

WhatU1
06-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Is this what you are looking for? :-

There are some people dealing with 2nd hand deep fryers but you need to check around.

*link removed, please use the PM instead.*

virgoriangur
08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
yup u r right...but im looking for second hand de...:grin:

WhatU1
09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
No harm call the above 2 companies to see if they know where to get 2nd hand equipment. I have seen many food companies folding up and these industrial companies had to take back their equipment as they were not paid...

Found another company that may be useful to you :-

*link removed, please use PM instead*

Like I say, can call them to see how much it costs and if they deal with 2nd hand...

icemelt
09-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi,

I am looking to set up a food kiosk at a push cart/share store etc...if you guys know of any place where i can do so please drop me an email - jh@liquidatom.com Cheers !

bargain_hideout
18-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Anyone can advise what's the cost of setting up an eatery?

dolcebaby
19-04-2006, 10:57 PM
depending on location, how you want your renovation to be like, air-conditioned, what type of food are you selling. eatery category could be quite broad.

dolcebaby
11-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I am planning to sell food at West Mall, but have to take up two tables from my brother who would be the organiser. Heard from him that the crowd at Sun Plaza is good but too bad it's ending this week, unless someone wants to set up for like 3 days? Anyone interested in co-joining for the upcoming one at West Mall? Starting around end of july. Rental fee can negotiate. Either 1) one person one table 2) come up with something to sell.

Xuandy
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
heehee, i stay next to west mall, let me kno wor, i support!

emyng
12-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I can help as I stay near West Mall too. However, I do not know what food to prepare. Perhaps we can synchronize and you can tell me what to prepare and the actual date.

dolcebaby
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
emyng: how about we contact over the pphone? i might be going dwn to west mall tomolo / fri / sat to check out the crowds over there then decide what to sell :p

sgboi82
12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
From wat i noe...westmall not many crowds.

emyng
14-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah sure, pls pm me if you are going. I can join u on Fri night.

sheh
14-07-2006, 05:28 PM
hi dolcebaby,

I'm currently selling food and am keen to sell my snack at this fair. you may email me to discuss.

Sheh

man4422
14-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I can help also as I stay around West Mall...but tell me what food you sell..and when you need me...
pm me the details...

ah_bao
10-08-2006, 01:56 AM
May I know where I get the info on hawker stores available for rent online ? TIA

koco
10-08-2006, 12:17 PM
May I know where I get the info on hawker stores available for rent online ? TIA

what you selling? tink they have different departments for that

DoorKeeper
15-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Do you mean like in a wet market - those open plan type ? Try search for "slab stall" ....

Superwoman19
15-08-2006, 02:08 AM
you meant hawker stall?

Moonlightflora
15-08-2006, 10:35 AM
If anyone wants to rent a hawker stall for wet market near Kallang let me know.For interested tenders or renters please pm me for more details.

DylanTan
08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi all...
I m planning to set up a food stall at a hawker centre early next year..
i edi got in mind what i m goin to sell..but the problem i m facing now is money.. and i dunno the procedure to go and apply all the license required.. can some one please advise me? and any of u guys who are in the hawker business that would like to give me some sound advises? all suggestion and replies are appreciated..
and lastly, roughly how much do i need to allocate to open a hawker business??

thanks! :)

man4422
08-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Money is dependable on which place you intend to set up the food stall...and what is the selling price...
you need to consider money to get all the equipments for setting up the stall also....

dolcebaby
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
please go"

www.nea.gov.sg

for financial help, please go to
www.ocbc.com.sg
www.posb.com.sg
www.maybank.com.sg
www.uob.com.sg

ha okay, what are u selling? u want to locate ur stall at where? u need money for utensils, food supplies and such.

legendtale
09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
food stall, u need license from MOH also. and need to have vacinnation.

www.moh.gov.sg

registration of biz www.acra.gov.sg

normally u need to find a suitable location and negotiate rental with the owner. normally contract is signed 1 yr? 1 yr dead and 1 yr live bah. meaning after 1 yr u got option to renew or not to. need to give 1 mth refundable deposit. then get suppliers to supply fresh food stuff, utensils, get helper, decide on operating hours etc.

working hours for hawker normally quite long, 12 hrs or more is common and work 7 days a week. probably rest on CNY only. do take note of the hygiene and dirty water might cause skin problem...:ls:

man4422
10-09-2006, 01:43 AM
next year still early...
you got some time to plan ahead :)

DylanTan
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
hey guys...
thanks for the info that u guys had provided..
i m setting aside around 10k in this food business..
i m not too sure it is enough. i dun think its enough..
i wish i dun have to quit my job to focus on this full time.. but i know in this food business, u have to dedicate all ur time in it.
now i know why they say tat not everyone is fit to do business.. u must have the guts!!
= )

dragongateinn
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
best of luck for u, if u succeed to let us know yr success n how u get all d procedure n success formula as a part-timer

DylanTan
10-09-2006, 07:59 PM
i m now trying to come up the right recipe for my food.. once i get that.. i will be looking for stall for rent..
does the bank just give u loan to start up a business just like tat?
i have yet contacted any bank yet.. but i dun understand some terms of getting a loan..
for eg.. at least 30% equity..
what does that means?

man4422
10-09-2006, 08:21 PM
maybe you can check with the bank...

purpleiceland
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
what r e procedure to sell food in night market? like need to apply for anything? how to rent?

lawz_c
12-09-2006, 05:23 PM
wat u selling....maybe we can suggest lol...if like normal.. then u might fight w the neighbour lol.. cos too many selling the smae lol.. most probably u might wan to consider selling oversea delight lol..

CornyCow
12-09-2006, 05:28 PM
all the best in ur biz threadstarter!
my parents too have stalls in hawker centres and coffee shops. it aint easy doing food biz yea. just do ur best!

MeiNu
13-09-2006, 05:33 PM
erm...u one man show ah? 10K not enuff if you employing staff leh. Die die also need 2 person at store, if not will die. Make sure you read the contract carefully before signing anything hoh! And don't be pressurized into taking a space even if they tell u alot of people very keen.

What u selling ah? Not necessary to buy everything first hand hoh. 能省则省。。

If rental more than $3k (inclusive of dishwashing fee)...forget it.

DylanTan
13-09-2006, 09:53 PM
erm...u one man show ah? 10K not enuff if you employing staff leh. Die die also need 2 person at store, if not will die. Make sure you read the contract carefully before signing anything hoh! And don't be pressurized into taking a space even if they tell u alot of people very keen.

What u selling ah? Not necessary to buy everything first hand hoh. 能省则省。。

If rental more than $3k (inclusive of dishwashing fee)...forget it.

I m not planning to employ. me and my gf will b doing all the work. the rental for a hawker centre less than 3k? i tot will be much more expensive.. but i yet to ask any hawker centre. I m still getting my recipe rite.. hehe.. :)

MeiNu
13-09-2006, 11:42 PM
wah.....actually hoh.....3K is for neighbourhood hawker lah..if u are talking about places like Maxwell hoh....then it's damn high...hai...not easy leh.....

and then hoh..if you working wif gf...er......be careful lah...relationship tends to get strained when the $ is not rolling in and esp if you 2 have very different ideas of doin things.

Be ready to eat grass for the first few months....

Nevertheless, all the best. And oh yes, one final point, location is VERY important.;-)

DylanTan
14-09-2006, 12:11 AM
wah.....actually hoh.....3K is for neighbourhood hawker lah..if u are talking about places like Maxwell hoh....then it's damn high...hai...not easy leh.....

and then hoh..if you working wif gf...er......be careful lah...relationship tends to get strained when the $ is not rolling in and esp if you 2 have very different ideas of doin things.

Be ready to eat grass for the first few months....

Nevertheless, all the best. And oh yes, one final point, location is VERY important.;-)

well... i forsee many many obstacles ahead of me..
recipes, locations, money and etc etc..
but i just feel tat i got to start somewhere.. even if it is small.. \
my gf main interest not in F&B business.. she is interested in clothing..
but we dun have the capital to start both at the same time..
so she will help me out ....
i just manage to get some info about pricing for hawker stalls..
found out tat average for maxwell is around 2k to 3k..but excluding utilities bill... not sure if the price stated is the final price.. maybe got other charges yet to be included...

MeiNu
14-09-2006, 12:27 AM
...Hmm.....wah...ur gf very nice to help u leh....long hours.....humid...and not her interest.

Dunno whether maxwell contract the dishwashing boh, if yes, add in another 1K.

Refuse fee also. Then some charge you for maintenance fee (choke maintenance, pest ctrl etc)

normally the rental deposit is 2 or 3 mths.......I think ur 10K burst liao....

I very curious what are you selling leh...:grin:

lawz_c
14-09-2006, 08:48 AM
...Hmm.....wah...ur gf very nice to help u leh....long hours.....humid...and not her interest.

Dunno whether maxwell contract the dishwashing boh, if yes, add in another 1K.

Refuse fee also. Then some charge you for maintenance fee (choke maintenance, pest ctrl etc)

normally the rental deposit is 2 or 3 mths.......I think ur 10K burst liao....

I very curious what are you selling leh...:grin:

u scareing him to change his mind liao... think 2 mth can close down liao...
btw.. don't think of doing in popular places...

try those unpopular places lol.. or a new open foodcourt lol

MeiNu
14-09-2006, 06:12 PM
he won't change his mind one lah....normally hoh...if one's mind is set on setting a stall liao, no matter what shit I say also 当耳边风 one....:green:

DylanTan
15-09-2006, 09:26 PM
maybe i have to ask some fund from my family members...
have to raise to 20k instead... or even 30k..
i m still not very sure if this business will go thru...
so many uncertainties..
as for what i m goin to sell.. i cant confirm yet...
but i will let u know once the "food" is confirm..
wish me luck!

13randon
15-09-2006, 11:58 PM
maybe i have to ask some fund from my family members...
have to raise to 20k instead... or even 30k..
i m still not very sure if this business will go thru...
so many uncertainties..
as for what i m goin to sell.. i cant confirm yet...
but i will let u know once the "food" is confirm..
wish me luck!

actually 10 to 15k if juz a small food stall, my father also a hawker mah he told me de, those can buy 2nd hand buy lor. then place no need to be at orchard or wad popular place yr food nice, eventually pple will come, before you rent the stall go to the market or coffeeshop to see whther got many pple go there and eat or not. wad stall most pple wan to eat, then think carefully lor, office crowd will like to eat wad aiya many things to think la if u 1 to be successful haha, but i think most selleable 1 hor is economic bee hoon wift chicken wings hot dog egg etc etc and nasi lemak rice lor.

man4422
16-09-2006, 12:06 AM
so you still dont want tell us what you selling ar?

DylanTan
16-09-2006, 01:21 AM
actually 10 to 15k if juz a small food stall, my father also a hawker mah he told me de, those can buy 2nd hand buy lor. then place no need to be at orchard or wad popular place yr food nice, eventually pple will come, before you rent the stall go to the market or coffeeshop to see whther got many pple go there and eat or not. wad stall most pple wan to eat, then think carefully lor, office crowd will like to eat wad aiya many things to think la if u 1 to be successful haha, but i think most selleable 1 hor is economic bee hoon wift chicken wings hot dog egg etc etc and nasi lemak rice lor.

I oso think i wun choose town area.. will prefer to set up on heartlanders area.. boon lay, woodlands, ang mo kio and etc are good places to sell my food.
i would like to tell u guys what food i m selling.. but i yet to get confirmation from my guru whether he will teach me... so i dun want to tell u guys 1st.. coz i scare my plans may fail.. i just can say that it is a type snack!

dolcebaby
16-09-2006, 08:00 AM
hmm dylan, alternatively, u can go sell using movable kiosks at shopping malls to test market and earn more capital :p pm me if u need help :p

i m now trying to come up the right recipe for my food.. once i get that.. i will be looking for stall for rent..
does the bank just give u loan to start up a business just like tat?
i have yet contacted any bank yet.. but i dun understand some terms of getting a loan..
for eg.. at least 30% equity..
what does that means?

dylan, if urs is a new company, it's harder to get bank loan. and normally if i am not wrong, u need to submit proposal as to how u are going to use the money or something like that. and, u might need to mortgage something.

clityu
16-09-2006, 12:31 PM
all the best , meantime a friend lloking for partner in fb

MeiNu
16-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I oso think i wun choose town area.. will prefer to set up on heartlanders area.. boon lay, woodlands, ang mo kio and etc are good places to sell my food.
i would like to tell u guys what food i m selling.. but i yet to get confirmation from my guru whether he will teach me... so i dun want to tell u guys 1st.. coz i scare my plans may fail.. i just can say that it is a type snack!

Wah! Snack ah? Mark up low leh.....better calculate how many of the snack u have to sell before you make any $ and then see whether that amount is achievable in the area you are selling boh...good luck ah!

(If you need people to test your cooking, I'm available...:ahmcio:

DylanTan
16-09-2006, 11:43 PM
all the best , meantime a friend lloking for partner in fb

sorry.. but i dun understand what u mean...
u r looking for a partner in f&b business?

man4422
16-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Wah! Snack ah? Mark up low leh.....better calculate how many of the snack u have to sell before you make any $ and then see whether that amount is achievable in the area you are selling boh...good luck ah!

(If you need people to test your cooking, I'm available...:ahmcio:

ok lar...snack....
depend on wat type of snack...

MeiNu
16-09-2006, 11:59 PM
ok lar...snack....
depend on wat type of snack...

whatever snack it is...won't cost more than a main meal rite? And main meal at hawker is ...say...avg $2.50...so ...what say you?

DylanTan
17-09-2006, 12:01 AM
hmm dylan, alternatively, u can go sell using movable kiosks at shopping malls to test market and earn more capital :p pm me if u need help :p

dylan, if urs is a new company, it's harder to get bank loan. and normally if i am not wrong, u need to submit proposal as to how u are going to use the money or something like that. and, u might need to mortgage something.

then i guess i have to turn to my family members for finANcial support.. i hope they wil support me.. my family dun really encourage me to do business...
as for the moving stalls at shopping malls... yeah.. i m interested in those too.. sometimes i c makan stalls at lot one, novena square.. and even at taka.. those are the ones that u r referring to rite? are the rental for those ex? and m i able to sell everyday? or after the fair i have to wait for the next fair for me to able to sell my food?

whatever snack it is...won't cost more than a main meal rite? And main meal at hawker is ...say...avg $2.50...so ...what say you?

i think the pricing is around 1.50 to 3 bucks lo...
i have to have a large amount of customer to really gain a profit.. :laugh:

man4422
17-09-2006, 12:03 AM

hmm...I think main meal can only buy one or two..
but snack..since it is cheap..can buy quite many....
so depends..maybe quite hot....

collegeparade
17-09-2006, 10:14 AM
then i guess i have to turn to my family members for finANcial support.. i hope they wil support me.. my family dun really encourage me to do business...

i think the pricing is around 1.50 to 3 bucks lo...
i have to have a large amount of customer to really gain a profit.. :laugh:
Hey don't worry too much. If you have the will to do it then go ahead. Passion is one key factor in the spirit of an entreprenuer/business man. And, as long as your food is nice, there will ALWAYS be ppl buying. Really, the food industry never dies. LOL. (sidenote: So it really tells abt S'poreans.)

Anyway, best of luck!:boogie:

jiemin83
17-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I think the taste of food comes into play, really. Target the correct tastes, which means whatever food you are interested in doing, tune it to the local's tastebuds.

When you open your stall, make it as extravaggant and loud as possible to attract attention. Spend more effort tuning the taste of it, and dun overwork yourself. If your food is good, you can open the stall for less hours and concentrate on the quality of it.

That's my general opinion... hope it helps!

clityu
17-09-2006, 11:51 AM
sorry.. but i dun understand what u mean...
u r looking for a partner in f&b business?

yup , a friend looking into that ..

dolcebaby
17-09-2006, 01:51 PM
as for the moving stalls at shopping malls... yeah.. i m interested in those too.. sometimes i c makan stalls at lot one, novena square.. and even at taka.. those are the ones that u r referring to rite? are the rental for those ex? and m i able to sell everyday? or after the fair i have to wait for the next fair for me to able to sell my food?

dylan, i guess those u saw at lot 1 now are under our company. yellow signboard that bears our company name at the bottom. anyway, for selling at shopping malls and outside shopping malls areas, stalls owners are not allowed to cook food over there. only reheating are allowed. but since u are selling snack, it shouldnt be a problem. rental varies with locations. and for various locations, u would be able to sell permanently. as for foodfairs, we have various places ongoing. maybe uwan to let me know?

legendtale
17-09-2006, 02:18 PM
woo... lot 1's food fair quite frequent leh... always good biz, many pple crowded around and myself bought a few times at the stall too... but over a period found the majority stalls remain and with only a few stalls changing... guess they are making $$ since they continue period after period...

DylanTan
17-09-2006, 11:18 PM
dylan, i guess those u saw at lot 1 now are under our company. yellow signboard that bears our company name at the bottom. anyway, for selling at shopping malls and outside shopping malls areas, stalls owners are not allowed to cook food over there. only reheating are allowed. but since u are selling snack, it shouldnt be a problem. rental varies with locations. and for various locations, u would be able to sell permanently. as for foodfairs, we have various places ongoing. maybe uwan to let me know?

dolcebaby... many thanks for the offer.. I will certainly approach u if i need a moving stall... and i m definately keen on that!!
as for now.. as i now.. i yet to get my selling snack.. i have to make sure that my food is sellable! Will be goin to look for my si fu this week..:sweat:

I think the taste of food comes into play, really. Target the correct tastes, which means whatever food you are interested in doing, tune it to the local's tastebuds.

When you open your stall, make it as extravaggant and loud as possible to attract attention. Spend more effort tuning the taste of it, and dun overwork yourself. If your food is good, you can open the stall for less hours and concentrate on the quality of it.

That's my general opinion... hope it helps!

to make my food loud.. i will have to spend some money on ad.. but while i m bootstrapping le.. i dunno can i advertise my food loudly. effectively and at the same time with lil cost.. and i will definately make sure my food is delicious!! :boogie:

lawz_c
18-09-2006, 05:11 PM
No try no result... set up a stall n see the business how lol

jiemin83
18-09-2006, 10:56 PM
make it loud? got watch shi ji lu kou from taiwan? tie a gong to your stall... every 10th customer hit once and give them something free! :ahmcio:

man4422
18-09-2006, 11:10 PM
all the best for you opening hawker food stall....

smartboy4
18-09-2006, 11:30 PM
wah eh you in charge of whole thing or what.

btw 15 or 16yo can start business one or not?

itsmylife
19-09-2006, 02:47 AM
10k definitely not enough. 20k to be on the safer side.

aaaaa
22-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Hello

I am thinking of selling deep fried sweet potato, banana & etc.
So is there anyone who know the recipe these snack? Also know any supplier who sell the needed ingredient.

Thank you v. much for help.

Calis
22-09-2006, 11:39 PM
This menu or recipe is commonly known as goreng pisang. Main factors or ingredients are:

1. Quality and sweetness of sweet potatoes, banana etc
2. The types and quality of flour
3. Type of oil used for frying
4. Composition mix of the various types of flour used for coating before deep frying

You can search the yellow pages for the suppliers or ask the stall owners of the goreng pisang stalls for recommendations.

AS foe the recipe, you can go to any library's culinary sections to search for local snacks/desserts cookbooks for reference. Ultimately, you still need to experiment and arrive at your own unique recipe to differentiate yourself from the rest of the goreng pisang stalls.

MeiNu
23-09-2006, 03:19 PM
wah...this kind of thing normally requires you to have a ...what is those thing...the kind that suck your frying fume outside one,....if not license buay pass leh....and that's not cheap to install.

MeiNu
23-09-2006, 03:24 PM
wah eh you in charge of whole thing or what.

btw 15 or 16yo can start business one or not?

So young, can't even register for a company. Tell you what, you give me the $ I start for you want boh? :grin:

smartboy4
23-09-2006, 09:48 PM
So young, can't even register for a company. Tell you what, you give me the $ I start for you want boh? :grin:
register company, no la walao eh!

register business leh? they got age limit one ar?

then if those pushcart, dont need register right?

sunwenjia
24-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Can anyone help me with this question i have? i was thinking of selling desserts my friend sells at his stall to factory workers and office workers using my van. Am i violating any laws?

shiroitenshi83
24-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I am not sure if you are violating any laws, but I had seen people do it. Just go to SATS around 11pm and you will see someone selling food for the midnight shift people.

sunwenjia
24-09-2006, 01:32 AM
where is that place? are they selling from vans too?

MeiNu
24-09-2006, 01:49 AM
register company, no la walao eh!

register business leh? they got age limit one ar?

then if those pushcart, dont need register right?

push cart no need lah..but where your money comes from ah? :...:

MeiNu
24-09-2006, 01:50 AM
I believe you are indeed threading on thin ice. Just make sure you run when you see people from MOH.

man4422
24-09-2006, 01:54 AM
See whether there are traffic signs allow you to park your vehicle there...

shiroitenshi83
24-09-2006, 08:20 AM
where is that place? are they selling from vans too?

SATS = Singapore Airport Terminal Services

Actual location: SATS Inflight Catering Centre 1 beside Budget Terminal.
Yes, they are selling from a van.

smartboy4
24-09-2006, 04:01 PM
push cart no need lah..but where your money comes from ah? :...:
maybe work a bit with other friends or loan lo.

but i still have enough savings la. till next year then see how

sunwenjia
24-09-2006, 10:32 PM
thin ice? that means its part legal part illegal? how come is MOH people catch not police? thanks for all advices

shiroitenshi83
24-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I think you will need a licence to sell food, if I am not wrong.

junkai21
24-09-2006, 11:14 PM
I think you will need a licence to sell food, if I am not wrong.

yes you are right. need to get a jab or something.

Police only catch theives and bad people

sunwenjia
25-09-2006, 12:17 AM
i don't mind getting licence and taking the jab but after doing these, it's considered licenced and i no need to worry about getting caught?

MeiNu
25-09-2006, 12:59 AM
i don't mind getting licence and taking the jab but after doing these, it's considered licenced and i no need to worry about getting caught?

the thing is....it's not so easy to get the license.....:laugh: ...and since you are taking the food from somewhere else...this somewhere also need to have a catering license to supply you the stuff...so hoh...quite messy...just sell and run is easier...:ahmcio:

MarquizLee
25-09-2006, 08:55 AM
u need license to sell food + another different license to sell food there

hedgejey
25-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I think pushcart also require you to register for a business license. If not u think the Gahment so stupid and let your earn without taxing you? You need to be at least 21 yo to register for a biz.... else normally those underaged will get their parents to do the registration.

lawz_c
26-09-2006, 01:07 PM
so many hawker out there.. so standard choice of food... if u wan.. do something special.. n keep changing lol...

smartboy4
26-09-2006, 05:58 PM
I think pushcart also require you to register for a business license. If not u think the Gahment so stupid and let your earn without taxing you? You need to be at least 21 yo to register for a biz.... else normally those underaged will get their parents to do the registration.
walao dam! :nervous:

lawz_c
26-09-2006, 07:37 PM
walao dam! :nervous:

u tell us no use eh... tell the ppl who set this rule lol... :ahmcio:

lawz_c
26-09-2006, 07:44 PM
u can do.. but don't get caught lol....

for all the job out there.. why u want to sell food....don't know why leh...

reussir
26-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I believe you are indeed threading on thin ice. Just make sure you run when you see people from MOH.

but if run, won't the thin ice break?:wahaha:

-

MeiNu
26-09-2006, 10:29 PM
but if run, won't the thin ice break?:wahaha:

-

ark ark ark....(crow flies past)....

reussir
27-09-2006, 12:42 AM
ark ark ark....(crow flies past)....

:wahaha:

DylanTan
27-09-2006, 11:46 PM
my stall opening has coming to a halt.. coz the owner is not willing to make a deal with me for me to learn.. sigh...

:+:Antarctica:+:
28-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Dylan :halo:

My dad is currently in this business for several years. He works everyday, I can say at least 18hrs daily. I could see the tiredness in him...:(

His rental is around $5000 plus per mth, haven't even include utilities bills, purchase of food...

So, it doesn't really cost cheap to start a hawker business. You must consider very carefully if you wanna start this business.

powerboy
28-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi Dylan :halo:

My dad is currently in this business for several years. He works everyday, I can say at least 18hrs daily. I could see the tiredness in him...:(

His rental is around $5000 plus per mth, haven't even include utilities bills, purchase of food...

So, it doesn't really cost cheap to start a hawker business. You must consider very carefully if you wanna start this business.
how come so expensive? he located at the central is it?

:+:Antarctica:+:
28-09-2006, 02:49 PM
how come so expensive? he located at the central is it?

Hi powerboy :)

He's located at Boonlay..very far..how I know this it's because I always help him write cheques..so I mange to know how much money is going out per month..very 'chor'.. :faint:

joseph
06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
may I noe roughly how much will the utilities bill come up to?

dolphinqing
27-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Hey, are you interest to rent a stall at Guillemard Rd

calvin_wang
27-10-2006, 04:03 AM
try vivocity

lawz_c
27-10-2006, 01:41 PM
try at kopitiam lol... also gd choice lol

DylanTan
29-10-2006, 11:22 PM
From my past research.. every 1st of the month, there will be a number of stall that will be up for bid.. those with the highest bid will be awarded a contract for that particular stall..

IvanD
30-10-2006, 11:06 AM
I think for wet market or hawker at neigbourhoob, try asking the market management or town council, for those in shopping centre, you need to ask the food court management ~

civicRS
31-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Hi powerboy :)

He's located at Boonlay..very far..how I know this it's because I always help him write cheques..so I mange to know how much money is going out per month..very 'chor'.. :faint:

may i know where is yr dad stall? blk? i wanna go there look look the crowd.

Diakuku
31-10-2006, 06:23 PM
wow .. good luck in whatever u do. eh.. i can be ur free food tester.. i dun mind.. eat liao wun 'lao sai' or die can le

bulble
31-10-2006, 10:46 PM
$5000 /month ?? must b raise rent over year yea,,

civicRS
12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
i'm looking for stall @ hawker centre. most prefered @ kovan. pls pm me.

delphinol
13-12-2006, 12:31 AM
may I noe roughly how much will the utilities bill come up to?

It is about 1000+++ a month. Commercial gas is more expensive than normal home use 1.

If u want to do this biz u have to do it unless u have passion or else ur stall won survive. Ingredient are perishable and if u want to use fresh stuff u have to be prepared to make some losses at the start. Once ur food quality slack then sayonara.

delphinol
22-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi everybody

Just doing it for a friend. There is a newly renovated canteen that is in Blk 1 Ang Mo Kio Ind Park 2A #02-06A AMK Tech 1 S'pore 568049 where the stalls are up for rent. Interested party (serious ones) can call Mr Soh at 97314568 or 96359502 for more details. There are a massive office and factory crowd in the area.