PDA

View Full Version : Formatting??

j20_sg
16-02-2004, 05:48 PM
i haf 2 hdds n i tried to format the secondary one(with windows installed -.-) by going to my computer then rightclick format....however there was an error...is there a PROPER way i can do this?

Thx for all ur help :p

lyk13
16-02-2004, 07:35 PM
U are not booting from the 2nd HDD bahz? :eek7:

'PROPER' method....boot into dos-mode and then format lor.

j20_sg
16-02-2004, 09:08 PM
U are not booting from the 2nd HDD bahz? :eek7:

'PROPER' method....boot into dos-mode and then format lor.
i am...cannot?

hw i boot into dos?

twtan14
17-02-2004, 12:11 AM
What error message?

j20_sg
17-02-2004, 12:46 AM
What error message?
tell mi that i cant format it....cos its in use or smth...i haf to close all windows showing drive C:....but i close all le ma...

sky_dew
17-02-2004, 09:56 AM
tell mi that i cant format it....cos its in use or smth...i haf to close all windows showing drive C:....but i close all le ma...

your windows is installed into tat drive?
and you wan to format tat drive to install a new os ?

then boot using the cd rom and format the drive to wipe out the previous version.

if you did nt use tat particular drive for windows OS, then i think there are applications using that drive and you did not know about it.

j20_sg
17-02-2004, 04:34 PM
your windows is installed into tat drive?
and you wan to format tat drive to install a new os ?

then boot using the cd rom and format the drive to wipe out the previous version.

if you did nt use tat particular drive for windows OS, then i think there are applications using that drive and you did not know about it.
err... i've gt C: n G:...both haf windows installed...so i go windows using G: n try to format C: through the My Computer....but cannot

lyk13
17-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I think got some linked programs from C to ur G hdd. U better boot to DOS using the startup disk(can be created in windows) or use the o/s cd to boot.

kopi_or
18-02-2004, 11:43 AM
err... i've gt C: n G:...both haf windows installed...so i go windows using G: n try to format C: through the My Computer....but cannot
sometimes when you install some programs and you select other drives to install so you can format those drives even if you did not boot from them.
by reformating the drive, you may cause your C: drive to hang if those programs are running when you boot up.

j20_sg
18-02-2004, 09:50 PM
JIALAT!! i formatted C: n nw it cant boot! cos the boot sequence there say boot from C:...nt G: (windows is installed in G:) hw do i change that? pls reply asap thx...urgent...

lyk13
18-02-2004, 10:37 PM
JIALAT!! i formatted C: n nw it cant boot! cos the boot sequence there say boot from C:...nt G: (windows is installed in G:) hw do i change that? pls reply asap thx...urgent...
Errrr........boot up ur G: by changing that hdd to master.

j20_sg
18-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Errrr........boot up ur G: by changing that hdd to master.
lolz...changed it to master like what u said...but cannot ar...

anwayz...did a windows repair nw can liaoz...thx for all ur help... :sweat:

lyk13
19-02-2004, 01:38 AM
lolz...changed it to master like what u said...but cannot ar...

anwayz...did a windows repair nw can liaoz...thx for all ur help... :sweat:
Lolz...so now working ok? Anyway, me still not very clear about ur hdd and o/s allocation structure...:p

akc850
21-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Can list down the OS that you are using now and the hdds configuration for your computer e.g C:\ is master or G:\ is master. What new OS are you trying to install now? If you are installing WinXP, save the trouble. Pop the setup disc into your computer when before it boots and let it run the disc *check the settings under your BIOS for boot sequence*, then format under the windows XP setup. That will be better. :grin:

i_gene
28-02-2004, 11:12 PM

You don't go and format yor C: next time ah
:cry: Cause your boot sector is there. Your Windows boot file is also there. You can try install you windows into D: then open up C: and see (previously was totally empty). You'll find something there which Windows will use to boot. So, when you format C:, obviously Windows can't boot.

Here, boot from CD (Win98) then type: FDISK /mbr. See whether it'll work? Otherwise you'll have to reinstall or repair liao.

Leo
28-02-2004, 11:21 PM
i always use this method. Not sure it will work for u or not....

go to bios and to confirm ur boot settings.... set it to boot up a: drive 1st. (pls have a boot diskette ready 1st ok...)

then restart with the boot disk inside and let it run. Then format the drives from there....

If u have win xp boot cd better....
jus put the cd in and let it run....
remember to change ur boot settings in bios 1st.

lyk13
29-02-2004, 10:09 AM
You don't go and format yor C: next time ah
:cry: Cause your boot sector is there. Your Windows boot file is also there. You can try install you windows into D: then open up C: and see (previously was totally empty). You'll find something there which Windows will use to boot. So, when you format C:, obviously Windows can't boot.

Here, boot from CD (Win98) then type: FDISK /mbr. See whether it'll work? Otherwise you'll have to reinstall or repair liao.
His boot drive is G:\, at least from my view point. Thus doing windows format of C:\ wun affect.